We are so lucky that the Jewish holiday Rosh Hashanah coincides with the apple season during the Fall since apples play a prominent roll in the festivities. Oftentimes, we think to incorporate apples into desert dishes, but here is a great spin on a classic roasted chicken, a staple on most Jewish tables during the holidays. Incorporating fresh herbs, rosemary and thyme, with delicious apples and carrots and raw honey, this dish will not only add flavor to your meal but an amazing aroma enticing all your friends and family to dig in and enjoy. Not to mention, using fresh whole food ingredients and a lean source of protein adds a nice and healthy touch to your table.
Checkout my video tutorial on how to make Roasted Chicken with Apples and don’t forget to subscribe to our youtube channel, Beth Warren Nutrition!
- 3-4 apples, cut in quarters and cored (I used Macintosh)
- 4 carrots, medium, cut into 3 pieces or 1 large handful of baby carrots, halved
- 2 medium onions, cut into quarters
- 8 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp raw honey (or any honey)
- 1 tsp coarse black pepper
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 whole roasting chicken, ideally organic
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Combine the honey, pepper and lemon juice in a small bowl. Rub the honey combination on the outside chicken, and in between the skin and the meat. Place 1.5 onions, 3 apples and carrots into a large roasting pan. Place the chicken on top of the apple, onion and carrot mixture, breast side up. Take 4 of the rosemary and thyme sprigs and push them in between the skin of the breast and the meat. Place the additional apple and onion inside the cavity of the chicken. Take the remaining sprigs of rosemary and thyme and remove the leaves. Sprinkle the leaves over the chicken and apple mixture and pat some onto the outside of the chicken. Drizzle olive oil on top. Roast for about 1hr and 15 min.