Chickpea Farro Soup
February 16, 2021
It's another one-dish wonder!
Allow me to explain-
at BWN we are all about hitting a balanced plate in one meal-
protein, carb, veggie and plantbased goodness!
I get it and hear it ALL the time-
I'M SICK OF SALADS!
here you go -
a meal wrapped up in one
all warm and cozy
and NOT a salad!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cups vegetable broth (1 container)
- Cherry tomatoes, chopped, with juices
- 15 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 cups cooked farro (or barley/any whole grain)
- 1 cup packed thick, hardy greens eg. kale/swiss chard/baby spinach, roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrot, and celery. Cook until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and bay leaves and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Stir in the broth, tomatoes, chickpeas, basil, and oregano. Bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes to blend the flavors. Add the farro and spinach and stir just until the spinach is wilted. Season the soup with salt and pepper, to taste. Ladle into soup bowls and serve warm. Garnish with grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.
- Note-to cook the farro, rinse and drain ¾ cup farro. Place in a pot and add enough water to cover. Add a little salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 25 minutes. Drain any excess water. OR you can buy Trader Joe’s 10 minute farro, it is my favorite and only takes 10 minutes to cook.